Tuesday, January 22, 2013

So, early this morning I was incited to post this on my Facebook after seeing the newest ridiculous "Everyday Collection" ads from Target:
Dear Target,

Unless you are trying to market adult-sized diapers to infantilists, trying to market diapers and wipes with "sexy" is not appropriate. In fact, it's just fracking stupid. Please stop with the dumb "sexified" Everyday Collection commercials. Do you think women are so stupid that they will believe shopping at Target for items for baking and baby butt diapering will make them sexy? Really? Just stop it.

Share and like if you agree!

If you're not familiar with these ads, they are shot on an all white background. They feature women in really tight and/or short and revealing clothing who are wearing pretty much way too bright make-up. They have these women using overly fierce/sexual expressions and body language as a voice-over tries to convince us that baking cakes and "defeating" other moms in the school bake sale is empowering and oh-so sexy as the penis representing pillars the model walks between ejaculate colored glitter because she's such a hot MILF with her cleavage and short skirt. The latest two show a 1) model in very short shorts from various angles climbing an impossibly tall and odd-angled ladder to change a light bulb and reminds us to "Remember: righty tighty, lefty loosie" and 2) a model in the ever-present cowgirl fantasy garb (all white) with little girl braids kneeling on the floor and wrangling babies as she sexily diapers their butts, bouncing and jiggling like she's on one of those mechanical bull rides (hence the mention of diapers and infantilists).

So, my post didn't get very much response. Things that I post like that rarely do, which honestly worries me. But this one in particular got this response from someone who subscribes to my feed:
I actually really like those commercials. They are funny, and have good meta messages.
Okay, maybe I'm just really not like other women. I admit it, I'm not very girly or feminine. I've never been the kind of female who gets all swoony dreaming of the knight in shining armor and the fairytale wedding BS. I grew up in far too rough a life to believe in any of that nonsense. But it boggles my mind (and disturbs me a little) when I post about disliking these ads and a female friend says something like that quote above.  Am I missing something? Or are women today just that programmed to mindlessly accept that they have to strive to achieve the unrealistic fictional version of femininity, to turn a blind eye when advertisers are basically telling them "Hey, we think this little of your intelligence." and the rest of the world continues to tell us "You have only one thing of value: your sex"? Has the majority of females in  the world just given up and stopped noticing these messages veiled as supposed "humor"? What the hell are these perceived "good meta messages"? Apparently, I'm not receiving them....

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note that this is my personal space. If I don't like your comment, I'm under no obligation to approve it. Don't like it? Too damned bad.